(Click on List Below or Scroll Down for Details)
- Ayers/Knuth Farm Foundation, Inc.
- Beavertown Historical Society
- Boonton Historic Preservation Commission, Town of
- Boonton Historical Society and Museum
- Boonton Township, Historical Society of
- Bridget Smith House Museum
- Butler Museum and Historical Committee
- Canal Society of New Jersey/Canal Museum
- Chatham Borough Historic Preservation Commission
- Chatham Borough Historical Society
- Chatham, Historical Society of the Township of
- Chester Historical Society, Inc.
- County College of Morris
- Denville Historical Society and Museum
- Dover Area Historical Society
- East Hanover Historical Society
- Florham Park, Historical Society of
- Hanover, Landmark Commission of the Township of
- Harding Township Historical Society/Tunis-Ellicks House and Museum
- Jefferson Township Historical Society/Museum
- Jewish Historical Society of Metrowest
- Kinnelon Historical Commission, The Borough of
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Society
- Levi Lewis Memorial Museum
- Lincoln Park: See Beavertown Historical Society
- Long Hill Township Historic Preservation Advisory Committee
- Long Hill Township Historical Society
- Madison Historic Preservation Commission
- Madison Historical Society
- Madison, Preservation Society of
- Mendham Borough Historical Society/The Phoenix House
- Mendham Township Historic Preservation Committee
- Mine Hill, Inc., Ferromonte Historical Society of
- Montville Historic Preservation Review Commission
- Montville Historical Society
- Morris County Heritage Commission
- Morris County Historical Society
- Morris County Trust For Historic Preservation
- Morris County Visitors Center
- Morris Plains Museum Association
- Morris Township Historic Preservation Commission
- Morristown Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Morristown Historic Preservation Commission
- Mount Arlington Historical Society
- Mount Hope Historical Conservancy, Inc.
- Mount Olive Township Historical Society
- Mount Tabor Historical Society
- Mountain Lakes Historic Preservation Committee
- Musconetcong Foundrymen Historical Society
- Old Randolph, Historical Society of
- Randolph Museum
- Parsippany Historical & Preservation Society
- Pequannock Township Historic District Commission
- Ralston Historical Association and Museum
- Randolph Museum
- Randolph Township, Friends Meeting House & Cemetery Association of
- Randolph Township Landmarks Committee
- Historical Society of Rockaway Township
- Roebling Chapter, Society for Industrial Archaeology
- Roxbury Historic Advisory Committee, Township of
- Roxbury Historic Trust
- Roxbury Township Historical Society/Silas Riggs House
- Washington Association of New Jersey
- Washington Township Historic Preservation Commission
- Washington Township Historical Society/Museum
- Washington Township Land Trust
- Washington Valley Community Association
- Wharton Historical Society
Ayres/Knuth Farm Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 304, Denville, NJ 07834; Tel (973) 625-9345; Fax (973)
The Ayres/Knuth Farm Foundation, Inc. is a community-based
organization located in Denville, New Jersey. The Foundation engages
in activities that focus on the protection and enhancement of
the historical, agricultural, and environmental aspects of the
Denville Township Ayers/Knuth Farm. To support these endeavors
the Foundation raises and directs funds and organizes volunteer
efforts towards the preservation of the historical and environmental
components of the multi-use open space facility.
137 Main Street, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035; Tel (973) 694-8059/694-5459
The Beavertown Historical Society encourages an awareness of the
history of Beavertown and the role of the Morris Canal in the
social and economic life of this area, known today as the Borough
of Lincoln Park. The society maintains a Museum and Library here
at 137 Main Street on Route 202. The collection includes an archives.
The Borough and the Society plan to partially restore this part
of the Canal, with plans for a newer, larger museum. The Society
meets the first Tuesday of the month from September till June.
The museum is open the third Sunday of the month from 2 to 5 P.M.
Special tours are available upon request.
Boonton Historic Preservation
Commission, Town of
100 Washington Street, Boonton, NJ 07005;
Tel (973) 402-9410 Ext. 624
The Town of Boonton Historic Preservation
Commission, a municipal organization established by town ordinance,
is dedicated to the preservation of Boonton's historic heritage.
The Commission meets the first Wednesday of each month.
Historical Society and Museum
210 Main Street, Boonton, NJ 07005; (973) 402-8840
The Boonton Historical Society and Museum, established
in 1959, administers projects and activities in fulfillment of
its mission to: 1) preserve and protect the town of Boonton's
unique cultural, architectural, and industrial history; 2) preserve
and share the area's rich history, folklore, arts, and humanities
of the past and present; 3) encourage preservation and restoration
of local historic landmarks; 4) protect and display the museum's
collections; 5) provide educational programs, guided history tours,
and exhibitions to a diverse population. Call INFOLINE at (973)
402-8840 for a calendar and list of program events.
Historical Society of
540 Powerville Road, Boonton, NJ 07005;
located at 591 Powerville Road, Boonton Township
Society of Boonton Township promotes and facilitates the discovery,
collection, and preservation of the township's unique historical
treasures including records, artifacts, historic sites, buildings,
monuments, markers, and other materials. It emphasizes the importance
of historic preservation and it encourages an interest in the
heritage of the local community and the state of New Jersey.
Smith House Museum
124 Randolph Avenue, Mine Hill, NJ 07803; Tel
The Bridget Smith House, built in 1855, is now
the last surviving structure representing working class housing
from the era of iron mining in northern New Jersey. Displays interpret
local history including the simple family life of Irish immigrants
living in a small community. Exhibits also feature photos and
artifacts relating to the iron mining industry. Mine Hill Township
owns the museum, while volunteer members of the Ferromonte Historical
Society of Mine Hill coordinate restoration efforts, collections,
and tours. The museum is open to the public during the first three
Saturdays of each month from June through October, 1 to 4 P.M.,
with special tour arrangements available during the day or after
school for youth groups and adult organizations. Admission is
free. Donations are appreciated.
Butler Museum and Historical
One Ace Road, Butler, NJ 07405-1348; office at the Butler
Museum, Upper Main Street, Butler, NJ; Tel (973) 838-7222; Email
The Butler Museum and Historical Committee
promotes interest in local history. The Committee sponsors educational
programs and provides advice to the borough's governing body on
matters relating to Butler's rich historic past. It also operates
the Butler Museum. This former 1888 NYS&W railroad station contains
exhibits on the social, political, spiritual, and business life
of the community, with particular emphasis on the American Hard
Rubber Company and its role in Butler's economic growth. It also
has an archives. The museum is open Saturdays from 10 A.M. to
2 P.M. Special hours can be arranged by appointment. The Committee
meets at 7:30 P.M. on the second Tuesday of each month.
Society of New Jersey/Canal Museum
P.O. Box 737, Morristown, NJ
07963; Tel and Fax (908) 722-9556; Email
The Canal Society of New Jersey is a non-profit organization
dedicated to fostering the study of New Jersey canal history.
It educates the public, preserves and restores canal remains and
artifacts, and provides recreation for its members by conducting
tours of canals and other historic sites. The Society administers
the Canal Museum at Waterloo Village in Stanhope. The Society
holds five meetings a year at Honeywell Corporation in Morris
Township; they feature slide programs and films on canal-related
topics. The Society supports events along the Delaware and Raritan
Canal and the Morris Canal. Visit their web site at www.canalsocietynj.org.
Chatham Borough Historic Preservation Commission
Commission Municipal Building, 54 Fairmount Avenue, Chatham, NJ
07928; Tel (973) 635-1312
The Chatham Borough Historic Preservation
Commission is a municipal advisory committee addressing matters
relating to Chatham's Main Street Historic District. The Commission
recognizes deserving preservation accomplishments with its annual
Preservation Flag Award. It also has published Design Guidelines
Manual for Rehabilitation and Construction in the Main Street
Chatham Borough Historical Society
682, Chatham, NJ 07928; Tel (973) 635-0603
The Chatham Borough
Historical Society, founded in 1923, celebrates Chatham's heritage
by promoting interest in local history and encouraging programs
and publications focusing on matters relating to local history
and preservation of the town's historic character. The Society
also collects and preserves records and artifacts relating to
the settlement and development of Chatham and makes these records
available to the public.
Chatham, Historical Society of the Township
P.O. Box 262, Chatham, NJ 07928; located at 24 Southern Boulevard,
Chatham Township; Tel (973) 635-4911, (973) 635-7156
Society of the Township of Chatham operates the Chatham Township
Museum (the Red Brick School House), which features permanent
and changing exhibits on local history. It sells a video relating
to the exhibits as well as several books on the history of the
township (see bibliography). The Society also reviews historical
sights under consideration by the Township for special recognition.
The Museum is open the first Sunday of each month from 2 to 4
Chester Historical Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 376, Chester, NJ
07930; Tel (908) 879-2761; Email
Historical Society discovers, collects, and preserves any material
that may help to establish or illustrate the history of the area.
The Society also educates the public on matters relating to local
history, and it periodically conducts tours through the Milltown/Black
River Park area, Chester Furnace, Chester Village, and other places.
It presents Architectural Preservation Merit and Heritage Awards
to the public, and it holds monthly program meetings open to the
public that feature talks on history-related topics. The Society
also has a small archives with access to the public by appointment.
Visit their web site at www.historicchesternj.com.
County College of Morris
Science Dept., County College of Morris, 214 Center Grove Road,
Randolph, NJ 07869-2086; Tel (973) 328-5647; Email
The Local History Program of the County College of Morris, active
between 1988-1997, produced two resources on Morris County Black
History that are available to the general public. "Chanceman's
Community: Twentieth Century Black Morristown," a photographic
exhibit of thirty-three framed pieces, circulates on a first-come,
first-served basis, for a $400 installation fee. Chanceman's Brothers
and Sisters: The Origins of the Morris County Twentieth Century
Black Community, a 30 minute award winning film, which premiered
on New Jersey Network, is available from the County College of
Morris Foundation (973) 328-5060.
Denville Historical Society
The Denville Historical Society & Museum seeks to create "an awareness of our past and to preserve it for our future." If offers an Antique & Collectables Flea Market in the spring and fall, and a holiday concert in December. Located on Diamond Spring Road, the Denville Museum features the "Garden of Thyme and Roses," and a permanent exhibit on Denville's history over three centuries. The museum also offers a significant research library, and several special collections including an extensive photograph collection. The Denville Museum is open Saturdays, 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. and by appointment. The Historical Society also provides tours of the one-room Union Schoolhouse, and walking tours of Denville by appointment only. Speakers and presentations on Denville's History are also available on sufficient notice. Groups welcome: disabled accessible. For more information call the museum at 973-625-1165.
Dover Area Historical
P.O. Box 609, Dover, NJ 07802-0609; Tel (973) 366-8266/366-0629;
The Dover Area Historical Society compiles and preserves
illustrations, maps, and records relating to local history; the
Society informs the public of its history and traditions; and
it works toward the reestablishment of the Dover Area Historical
Museum. The Society holds regular meetings and sponsors educational
programs and field trips for all ages. A biannual newsletter,
Ye Old Tye News, published Spring and Fall, keeps members and
friends informed of activities.
East Hanover Historical Society
P.O. Box 216, East Hanover, NJ 07936; located at 174 Mount Pleasant
Avenue, East Hanover; Tel (973) 428-8200; Fax (973) 428-7394
East Hanover Historical Society supervises restoration of the
Cook Halfway House and the Marion Rowley Gardens.
Historical Society of
P.O. Box 193, Florham Park, NJ 07932; Tel
The Historical Society of Florham Park was founded
in 1935 to preserve the borough's "Little Red Schoolhouse" and
to gather and collect artifacts of local history. The schoolhouse
museum features a permanent exhibit on the area's farming community,
and various changing exhibits. An education committee works with
local schools, instructing children and providing scholarships.
The Society meets the third Friday of the month from September
to May. The museum is open the first Sunday of the month and also
is open by appointment.
Hanover, Landmark Commission of the Township
Municipal Building, 1000 State Highway 10, P.O. Box 250, Whippany,
NJ 07981; Tel (973) 428-2500
The Landmark Commission of the Township
of Hanover, a municipal organization, protects, enhances, and
preserves sites and structures of historical, architectural, and
cultural significance, focusing on the township's main historic
site, "Old Whippany Cemetery." The Commission is also developing
a new local history museum collection to be housed in a dedicated
room in the Township of Hanover Community Center. The Commission
has monthly meetings on the third Thursday of the month at 7:30
P.M. in the Center which are open to the public.
Historical Society/Tunis-Ellicks House and Museum
P.O. Box 1777,
New Vernon, NJ 07976; Tel (973) 292-3661
The Harding Township Historical Society preserves materials relating to the history of Harding Township. The Society supports local preservation efforts and maintains its headquarters at the historic Tunis-Ellicks House. The John H. Culbertson Museum on the second floor features changing exhibits relating to local and regional history. An archives is maintained is a separate building. The house and archives are open by appointment. Call (973) 292-3661.
Jefferson Township Historical Society/Museum
George Chamberlain House, 315 Dover-Milton
Road, Jefferson Township, NJ 07438
The Jefferson Township
Historical Society promotes public awareness of Jefferson Township's
history and culture. It has restored and refurnished a Victorian
farmhouse/museum (circa 1860), which is open the first Sunday
of every month from 1 to 3 P.M. Admission is fee. The Society
sponsors special programs featuring guest speakers. It also maintains
a local history archives. The Society meets the third Thursday
of each month at 8 P.M.
Jewish Historical Society of Metrowest
901 Route 10 East, Whippany, NJ 07981-1156; Tel (973) 929-2995,
(973) 929-2994; Fax (973) 428-8237; Email
Jewish Historical Society of Metrowest collects, preserves, and
chronicles the rich legacy of the largest Jewish community in
the state of New Jersey encompassing Morris, Essex, Sussex, and
Warren counties, along with part of Union county. The Society
maintains a substantial archives. It compiles oral histories,
collects historical artifacts, organizes exhibitions, provides
a speakers bureau and other outreach services, and publishes a
newsletter and preservation brochure. The Society is open weekdays
from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. Visit their web site at www.jhsmw.org.
Commission, The Borough of
Kinnelon Borough Hall, Kinnelon Road, Kinnelon, NJ 07505; Tel (973) 838-1321; museum Tel (973) 838-0185
The Borough of Kinnelon Historical Commission, a municipal organization, was established in 1976 to research and record data relating to the history of Kinnelon. The Commission documents all historic sites in the borough and makes recommendations to the mayor and council for preservation and acquisition of historic sites and places. It sponsors lectures, seminars, and other programs relating to local history and historical preservation. The Commission also administers a local museum in the historic L'Ecole House, also known as the Meadtown Schoolhouse located at 25 Kiel Avenue. The museum is open Saturday and Sunday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
P.O. Box 668, Landing, NJ 07850; Tel (973)
398-2616; Fax (973) 316-6466; Email
Hopatcong Historical Society collects, houses, and preserves artifacts
and archival documents relating to the civil, political, social,
and general history of Lake Hopatcong--New Jersey's largest lake.
The Society publishes a quarterly newsletter featuring articles
on the lake's history; it also operates the Lake Hopatcong Historical
Museum and presents programs relating to the Lake's history. Call
or check the Museum's web site at www.lakehopatconghistory.com for seasonal hours.
159 Mountainside Road, Mendham, NJ 07981; (973)
The Levi Lewis Memorial Museum commemorates the activities
of the Levi Lewis family who came to the Mendham area in the mid
1730s. The entrepreneurial Levi Lewis owned a gristmill, sawmill,
tan-yard, iron mines, blacksmith shop/forge, a large farm, and
a distillery. The distillery was the site of the meeting that
established Randolph Township when it separated from Mendham Township
in 1806. The museum's large collection includes artifacts and
displays relating to agriculture, industry, trades, and domestic
crafts of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It also features
exhibits on the Leni Lenape Indians and the American Revolution.
The Museum is open by appointment only, and a donation is requested.
Long Hill Township Historic Preservation Advisory Committee
915 Valley Road, Gillette, NJ 07933; Tel (908) 647-8000
by an act of local government in 1997, the seven member Advisory
Committee develops ordinances for historic preservation; advises
other government planning bodies about historic elements involved
in proposed projects; and updates the Township's historic sites
survey with an eye to designating specific districts and sites
as suitable for historic registration. The Committee holds public
meetings once each month, or whenever necessary, to review development
applications. Visit their web site at www.longhillnj.us
Long Hill Township Historical Society
c/o Long Hill Township Public Library, 917 Valley Road, Gillette, NJ 07933; Tel (908) 647-2088
The Long Hill
Township Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of
the cultural and historical heritage of the community. The society
features guest speakers at its monthly meetings on the first Thursday
of each month. It presents an annual award to an eighth grade
student graduating from Central School who shows outstanding initiative
and interest in local history. The Society also has a small archival
collection. Visit their web site at www.longhillhistory.org
Madison Historic Preservation Commission
MadisonHartley Dodge Memorial, King's Road, Madison, NJ 07940
The Madison Historic Preservation Commission is the borough government
agency charged with overseeing the exterior changes to registered
historic sites in town. The Town Hall, known as the Hartley Dodge
Memorial, is itself a historic structure, erected in 1934. It
is an imposing example of Georgian Revival architecture, and the
Council Room on the second floor has a collection of original
artwork related to the founding fathers of America. The Council
Room is open during regular council meetings (Monday evening)
or by appointment. Visit their web site at www.rosenet.org/gov/hpc for further information.
Madison Historical Society
P.O. Box 148, Madison, NJ 07940; located
at Local History Center, Madison Public Library, 39 Keep Street,
Madison, NJ; Tel (973) 377-7023, (973) 377-3203, (973) 377-0722;
The Madison Historical
Society, founded in 1922, meets four times a year on the fourth
Thursday of the month with programs relating to local history
and historic preservation. The Society also maintains a small
archive housed in the Local History Center at the Madison Public
Library. Visit their web site at www.rosenet.org/mhs.
Madison, Preservation Society of
P.O. Box 687, Madison, NJ 07940; Tel (973) 377-8232
Society of Madison promotes public awareness of significant architecture
and artifacts in the community. It also preserves, collects, and
distributes materials relating to Madison and surrounding areas.
Mendham Borough Historical Society/The Phoenix House
2 West Main
Street, Mendham, NJ 07945; Tel (973) 543-7152
The Mendham Borough
Historical Society brings to life the history of the area by collecting
archival documents, artifacts, and other materials illustrating
Mendham's cultural, social, and economic development. The Society
also encourages the preservation of local historic sites. Cooperating
with historical architects, it assists owners seeking information
on the historical restoration of their properties. Each year it
presents awards, recognizing individuals and businesses that have
made a special effort to preserve Mendham buildings. In addition,
the Society disseminates historical information by publishing
documents, presenting talks, and marking historic sites.
Township Historic Preservation Committee
P.O. Box 520, Brookside,
NJ 07926; Tel (973) 543-4555
The Mendham Township Historic Preservation
Committee serves as an advisory body to the Township. The Committee
also sponsors tours, slide show presentations, and exhibits.
Hill, Inc., The Ferromonte Historical Society of
c/o The Bridget
Smith House, 124 Randolph Avenue, Mine Hill, NJ 07803; Tel (973)
The Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill, Inc.
promotes awareness and interest in local history and the history
of iron mining and works to maintain the Bridget Smith
House Museum. The society works toward encouraging pride in the
town through collecting and preserving historic data, artifacts,
photographs, and by periodically offering programs working with
the schools or local organizations. Regular business meetings
are held on the first Tuesday of each month (unless otherwise
posted) at the Mine Hill Township Civic Center, Baker Street,
Montville Historic Preservation Review Commission
Change Bridge Road, Montville, NJ 07045; Tel (973) 331-3300; 335-3882
The Montville Historic Preservation Review Commission (HPRC)--established
in 1988 under the provision of the New Jersey Land Use Act--designates
historic sites and districts throughout Montville. These sites
(over 210 thus far) are entered in the Historic Preservation Element
of the Montville Master Plan and protected under the New Jersey
Land Use Act and Montville Township ordinances. As a result of
the HPRC's work, Montville has merited the honor of being one
of less than 20 municipalities throughout the state designated
as a Certified Local Government (CLG) by the United States Department
of the Interior. The HPRC holds public hearings the 4th Monday
of each month at the Montville Municipal Building.
Box 519, Montville, NJ 07045; Tel (973) 335-1970
Historical Society maintains the Montville Museum at Taylortown
Road and Route 202. The museum is open every Sunday from 1 to
4 P.M. The Society meets the second Monday of each month. It gives
at least two slide presentations on Montville history each year.
Morris County Heritage Commission
P.O. Box 900, Morristown, NJ
07963-0900; Office at Morris County Cultural Center, 300 Mendham
Road, Morris Township; Tel (973) 829-8117, (973) 631-5455; Fax
(973) 631-5137; E-mail
Appointed by the
Board of Chosen Freeholders, the nine-member volunteer Morris
County Heritage Commission encourages a broad awareness and understanding
of Morris County's diverse history by insuring the preservation
and accessibility of Morris County's archives for the benefit
of genealogists, historians, and students; serving as a clearinghouse
for historic preservation groups in Morris County; promoting Heritage
Commission initiatives through appropriate communication vehicles
(brochures, symposiums, seminars, books, videos, etc.); acknowledging
Morris County's cultural diversity by organizing exhibits and
presentations relating to ethnic arts and history. The Commission
has marked over 120 historic sites throughout the County.
County Historical Society
68 Morris Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960;
Tel (973) 267-3465; Fax (973) 267-8773; Email
The Morris County Historical Society, founded in 1945, is a volunteer,
non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging an appreciation
and understanding of the history of Morris County and the State
of New Jersey within a larger historical context. Programs include
a spring and fall lecture series, children's workshops, and trips.
Exhibits and publications focus on topics ranging from the Woman's
Suffrage Movement to a survey of American clocks. Membership events,
such as the President's Tea and Garden Party are held annually.
Other activities include tours of the Italianate Victorian mansion,
Acorn Hall, which is the Society's headquarters. The Society has
a substantial archival collection. Visit their web site at www.acornhall.org/.
County Trust For Historic Preservation
14 Oak Street, Morristown,
NJ 07960; Tel (973) 267-4717; Fax (973) 267-6200; Email
The Morris County Trust For Historic Preservation encourages the
preservation of historic buildings and sites by providing information
on architectural heritage and its legal protection. It also publishes
a newsletter that updates preservation activities within
the County and advises people on crucial issues related to preservation
at the local, state, and national levels. The Trust sponsors annual
meetings, lectures, tours, and workshops. Its reference library
is available to researchers by appointment. Visit their website at www.mcthp.org.
Morris County Visitors
6 Court Street, Morristown, NJ 07960; Tel (973) 631-5151;
Fax (973) 631-5153; Email
The Morris County Visitors Center provides information representing
the historical, cultural, and recreational entities of Morris
County. Personal assistance to the public includes a calendar
of events, tour services, and wedding/relocation packages. The
Center encourages heritage and cultural tourism by promoting historic
preservation and a better understanding of our county's history.
Open Monday through Friday from 9:30 A.M. until 4:30 P.M. Visit
their web site at www.morristourism.org.
Plains Museum Association
Morris Plains Library, 77 Glenbrook
Road, Morris Plains, NJ 07950; Tel (973) 683-1089 T
he Morris Plains
Museum Association administers the Morris Plains Museum, which
collects, records, preserves, and exhibits artifacts and documentary
accounts concerning the history and development of Morris Plains.
The Association also coordinates oral history projects and conducts
tours of historical sites. The Museum is open Saturdays from 10
A.M. to 1 P.M., or by appointment.
Morris Township Historic Preservation
50 Woodland Avenue, P.O. Box 7603, Convent Station,
NJ 07961-7603; Tel (973) 326-7360
The Morris Township Historic
Preservation Commission is a municipal body responsible for (1)
Preserving historic sites, structures, and districts within the
township, and (2) heightening public awareness among township
residents regarding the historic assets of the township.
Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution
5 Olyphant Place, Morristown, NJ 07960-4231; Tel (973) 267-4039,
(973) 539-7502; Email
The D.A.R. promotes history,
education, and patriotism through its various programs and activities.
It focuses on the Revolutionary War era to keep alive the history
of the founding of this nation. Members are directly descended
from people who either fought in the war and/or played a role
in winning the war. The DAR maintains the Schuyler Hamilton House.
It also has a small archives. The DAR holds its meetings and activities
at the house from September through May. Call for a schedule and
for information about joining the chapter. Visit their website at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njmcdar
P.O. Box 914, Morristown, NJ 07963-0914;
Tel (973) 267-4717; Fax (973) 267-6200; Email
Morristown Historic Preservation Commission was created by ordinance
to review plans for development applications, to advise the boards
and the Town on preservation matters, to provide public preservation
education, and to promote local preservation in all ways. Free
informal assistance is always available.
Mount Arlington Historical
P.O. Box 146, Mt. Arlington, NJ 07856
The Mount Arlington
Historical Society collects and preserves historic data, artifacts,
and photographs relating to the history of Mt. Arlington and Lake
Hopatcong. Its many activities include historic site tours and
numerous special programs. The Society has published a history
of Mount Arlington. It also has compiled oral histories.
Hope Historical Conservancy, Inc.
P.O. Box 625, Wharton, NJ 07885;
Tel (973) 361-4231
The Mount Hope Historical Conservancy, Inc.,
is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of historic
sites, artifacts, archives, and landscapes related to the Mount
Hope Mines and to the management of open space areas on the site.
The Conservancy plans to develop a Museum of Mount Hope.
Olive Township Historical Society
204 Flanders-Drakestown Road,
Budd Lake, NJ 07828; Tel (862) 432-0460; Fax 973-724-4834; Email
The Mount Olive Township Historical Society discovers, collects, and preserves artifacts of Mount Olive's history. It communicates and promotes that history through programs, publications, and exhibits. Meetings are held 7:00 P.M., the first Monday of each month at the Mount Olive Senior Center, Flanders-Drakestown Road, Budd Lake. Visit their web site www.mtolivehistory.com.
Mount Tabor Historical
P.O. Box 271, Mt. Tabor, NJ 07878; Tel (973) 586-1564;
The Mount Tabor Historical Society promotes community
awareness of local history, stressing the importance of preserving
and restoring buildings that reflect Mt. Tabor's Victorian Heritage;
the Society conducts tours to historic buildings and landmarks,
and hosts social gatherings sometimes featuring guest speakers.
Visit their web site at www.mounttabornj.org.
Mountain Lakes Historic
400 Boulevard, Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046;
Tel (973) 334-3131
The Mountain Lakes Preservation Committee is
comprised of volunteers appointed by the Borough Council to promote
historic preservation within the Borough. The Committee encourages
historical research, archival preservation, and the protection
of historic structures and landscapes. It also runs an Architectural
Salvage Warehouse where owners of historic Mountain Lakes homes
can find materials to repair their houses. Advice on restoration
is freely available to residents. The Committee has an archival
collection available to the public. Visit their web site at www.mtnlakes.org/Borough/HPC.
Foundrymen Historical Society
P.O. Box 104, Netcong, NJ 07857;
Tel (973) 347-3728/ (973) 691-7448
The Musconetcong Foundrymen
Historical Society promotes an awareness of the history of Netcong
and Port Morris in Morris County and Stanhope in Sussex County,
with a particular emphasis on the local iron industry and the
Morris Canal. The Society publishes tour guides for the historic
downtowns of Netcong and Stanhope, and it conducts periodic walking
tours of downtown areas and Morris Canal sites. It also encourages
document preservation, and it has an archives open to researchers.
The Society played a major role in having a local newspaper, the
Stanhope Eagle, microfilmed. It normally holds its meetings in
the afternoon on the last Sunday of the month, at the lower level
of the Stanhope United Methodist Church, Route 183, Netcong.
Randolph, Historical Society of
P.O. Box 1776, Ironia,
NJ 07845; Tel (973) 989-7095; Email
630 Millbrook Avenue Randolph, NJ 07869; Tel (973) 989-7095; Email
The Randolph Museum is located on the on the grounds of Freedom Park. It is operated and maintained by the Historical Society of Old Randolph to promote and preserve the agricultural and industrial heritage of Randolph. Exhibits depict Randolph life from the colonial era through the present with permanent and special exhibits, research materials, and public programming. The museum is located on the first floor of the 1940's era Brundage House. Hours are every Sunday from April through mid November from 1 to 4 p.m. Programs and events are posted on the municipal website on the "Get to Know Us" tab at www.Randolphnj.org.
Parsippany Historical & Preservation
P.O. Box 6266, Parsippany, NJ 07054; Tel (973) 887-6848/2089;
Fax (973) 627-4848
The Parsippany Historical & Preservation Society
promotes interest in historical preservation by informing the
public of the historical significance of local sites. The Society
plays an influential role in designating and preserving individual
sites throughout the municipality. At its meetings it features
special exhibits and talks by guest speakers. It also maintains
an archival collection of documents. The Society meets at the
Stephen H. Condict House, 41 North Beverwyck Road, on the third
Wednesday of each month at 7:30 P.M., excluding July and August.
Pequannock Township Historic District Commission
530 Newark Pompton
Turnpike, c/o Municipal Building, Pompton Plains, NJ 07444; Tel
The Pequannock Township Historic District
Commission, a municipal agency, keeps the Township informed of
how growth and development affects historic areas. It also sponsors
an annual "History Day" on Memorial Day featuring displays of
memorabilia from local organizations, churches, and individuals.
The office is open weekdays 8:30 to 4:30. Visit their web site at www.peqtwp.org/.
Ralston Historical Association and Museum
313 Mendham Road West
(Rt. 510) at Roxiticus Road, Mendham, NJ 07945; Tel (973) 543-4712
The Ralston Historical Association maintains and operates the
Ralston Historical Museum in the Ralstonville Historical District,
which is open Sundays 2 to 5 P.M., June through October. The museum
is a restored and restocked general store in a part of Mendham
where businessman John Ralston once owned several thousand acres
of property. Here he encouraged the establishment of forges, wagon
works, fulling mills, and other water-powered industries. In so
doing he helped make Mendham into a prosperous industrial center.
The Association holds an annual meeting in June. Its archival
collection is available to researchers.
Freedom Park, Randolph, NJ 07869; Tel (973) 989-7095; Email
The Randolph Museum
promotes and preserves the agricultural and industrial heritage
of Randolph. Here visitors can gain a better understanding of
how local industries transformed the regional economy during a
200-year period. Opening in its new home (Spring 2005) the museum will occupy the first
floor of the Brundage House. Call the museum for further
information on programs and hours.
Randolph Township, Friends
Meeting House & Cemetery Association of
190 Quaker Church Road,
Randolph, NJ 07869; Tel (973) 361-9427
The Friends Meeting House
and Cemetery Association of Randolph Township owns the 1758 Friends
Meeting House, which the Association is dedicated to preserving.
The Dover-Randolph Friends still use the Meeting House and Annex
for worship and fellowship activities. Local groups also meet
there. The House is the oldest standing church in Morris County
and possibly a stop along the Underground Railroad. It is open
to the public from 12 noon till 1 P.M. Sunday, and by request.
The Association frequently conducts tours of the House for school
groups and senior citizens. It also sponsors preservation outreach
programs on FitzRandolph Day. The Association holds meetings twice
a year. Visit their web site at: www-personal.umich.edu/~msten/fmhca/
Randolph Township Landmarks Committee
Building 502 Millbrook Ave., Randolph, NJ 07869-3799; Tel (973)
The Randolph Township Landmarks Committee is a municipal
organization dedicated to the preservation of historic sites and
structures. The Committee reviews site plans of the Planning and
Adjustment boards and checks permit applications submitted by
historic site owners. It also educates residents on the history
and architecture of the area, and directs them to cultural resources
such as the Museum of Old Randolph. The Committee gives annual
preservation awards, sponsors bus tours, and administers other
special activities that help foster an awareness of history and
a sense of civic pride.
Historical Society of Rockaway Township
100, Hibernia, NJ 07842; (973) 366-6730
The Historical Society
of the Rockaways promotes community awareness of Rockaway's role
in our nation's industrial development by distributing historical
information to educational and public institutions, and by promoting
community service projects beneficial to all citizens. The Society
has taken the lead in preserving the house of iron works owner
John Jacob Faesch; it has expanded its preservation efforts to
include the entire surrounding mining area. It also maintains
a small archives with genealogical files on Old Rockaway Township
families. The Society meets the first Monday of the month.
Chapter, Society for Industrial Archaeology
19 Budd Street, Morristown,
NJ 07960; Tel (973) 455-0491
The Roebling Chapter, Society for
Industrial Archaeology, promotes the study of artifacts relating
to the technological and industrial past of Morris County and
the surrounding region. The Society holds an annual symposium
at Drew University in the Fall, and it sponsors ad hoc field trips
to the sites of working and defunct industries.
Advisory Committee, Township of
1715 Route 46; Tel: (973) 584-7903
The Historic Advisory Committee of the Township of Roxbury is
a seven member sub-committee of the township planning board that
oversees the designated historic districts of Main Street, Ledgewood,
Main Street, Succasunna, Kenvil Avenue, Kenvil, and Berkshire
Valley Road in Lower Berkshire Valley. The committee's powers
are advisory in nature, and one of its primary tasks is the dissemination
of information concernng the maintainence, repair, and restoration
of buildings in the districts. Applications for new construction
or alterations to properties in the districts are reviewed by
the committee, with advice given in an effort to maintain architectural
continuity and compatibility with existing structures. The Historic
Advisory Committee meets monthly at 8 p.m. at the King Homestead
at 209 Main Street, Ledgewood. Call for further information.
209 Main Street, Ledgewood, NJ 07852; Tel (973)
The Roxbury Historic Trust seeks to educate the public
on the history of the Township of Roxbury and its place in the
history of New Jersey and our nation. Toward this end it has restored
and preserved two township National Register properties--the King
Store Museum at 211 Main Street, Ledgewood, and the King Homestead
Museum at 209 Main Street, Ledgewood. Both township-owned structures
were purchased with Green Acres funds, and are currently leased
to the Trust. The King Store prospered during the Morris Canal's
height of activity from 1831 to 1870 and continued to prosper
even after the canal's decline. The King Store is open to the
public every second Sunday of each month from 1 to 4 p.m. Call
for further information.
Roxbury Township Historical Society/Silas
P.O. Box 18, Succasunna, NJ 07876; Tel (973) 584-6931
The Roxbury Township Historical Society was organized to research,
preserve, and promote the township's history. It also owns and
maintains the architecturally unique saltbox style Silas Riggs
House as a living history museum representative of the crafts,
skills, and living habits of colonial times. General meetings
of the society are held in the house, and a variety of events
are scheduled in the house and on the grounds throughout the year.
A Calendar of Events is available, as are informative newsletters
distributed by the society throughout the year. The society has
published three volumes of the township's history written by members,
which are available as a set or individually. It also has a small
archival collection. The Silas Riggs House is open on the second
Sunday of each month from 1 to 4 p.m. Call for further information.
Washington Association of New Jersey
P.O. Box 1473, Morristown,
NJ 07962; Tel (973) 335-3372
The Washington Association of New
Jersey was established in 1873 to save the Ford Mansion (Washington's
headquarters during 1777 and 1779-80) from destruction. The organization
was chartered by an act of the New Jersey State Legislature in
1874. In 1933 the Association donated Ford Mansion to the National
Park Service, making it the first National Historical Park in
the country. Today, by statute, the Association is the official
consultant to Morristown National Historical Park. The Association
supports the park by purchasing rare books, manuscripts, and historic
artifacts. It funds special projects and exhibits including the
permanent display, "War Comes to Morristown: The Impact of the
Revolutionary War Upon a Small Village, 1775-1783." Association
events include a biannual symposium, the Martha Washington reception
held in the Fall, and an annual meeting on President's Day featuring
a scholarly presentation.
Washington Township Historic Preservation
Municipal Building, Schooley's Mountain Road, Long
Valley, NJ 07853; Tel (908) 876-3315
The Washington Township Historical
Preservation Commission is a municipal government organization
that oversees implementation of the Township's local historic
ordinance relating to historic districts. The Commission provides
advice to anyone in the community interested in historic preservation
matters. Meetings take place at 7:30 on the third Wednesday of
Washington Township Historical Society/Museum
Box 189, Long Valley, NJ 07853; Tel (908) 876-9696
Township Historical Society provides an opportunity and place
for local historians to meet and share ideas, materials, and resources
that convey the history of the area. The Society maintains a
museum featuring exhibits of local historical and archaeological
artifacts, antique tools, and collectibles. It also has an
archival collection. The museum is open on Sundays, 2 to 4 P.M.,
or by appointment. The Society meets from September through June,
the third Tuesday of the month. Visit their web site at www.wthsnj.org.
Washington Township Land Trust
P.O. Box 4, Long Valley, NJ 07853; Tel (908) 876-5986
Township Land Trust protects and preserves the ecological, cultural,
and historical integrity of the areas that contribute to and enhance
the rural character of Washington Township and its environs. The
Trust acquires interests in land by purchase or donation, manages
land and property easements for the benefit of the public, and
educates people to be responsible stewards of the land. The Trust
is currently restoring the circa 1750 Obadiah LaTourette Grist
and Saw Mill on East Mill, Long Valley, with the aid of donations,
grants, and volunteer labor. Tours are given most Saturdays from
10AM to 4PM, and by appointment by calling (908) 876-4478.
Valley Community Association
5 Gaston Road, Morristown, NJ 07960;
Tel (973) 539-4443
Since 1926 the Washington Valley Community
Association has maintained the Washington Valley Schoolhouse--the
main focal point of the picturesque Washington Valley Historical
District of Morris Township. The Association, comprised of 123
families, hosts many activities at the schoolhouse, including
a pancake breakfast, a Christmas and Halloween party for children,
Fall and Spring cleanup, and a Christmas tea.
15 South Main Street, Wharton, NJ 07885; Tel (973) 361-1545/1333
The Wharton Historical Society preserves Wharton's link with the
past by promoting greater awareness of history through presentations
at monthly meetings on themes relating to local railroads, the
iron industry, the Morris Canal, historic homes, the Lenape Indians,
and other subjects. The Society also features special exhibits
at the Wharton Public Library and at annual "Canal Day" fair.
Meetings take place the second Wednesday of the month between
September and June and are open to the public.